Making your own Homemade Pita Bread is a tasty thing to do — it’s not complicated and results are beautifully soft and chewy — perfect for dipping into your favorite recipes.
Pita bread is a flatbread that’s a lovely option to enjoy instead of classic sliced bread, and making it from scratch is such a simple task and so worth the effort. Pita from the grocery store isn’t a bad option, but when you taste homemade — you’ll never go back. I made this pita recipe with white flour, but you could add a touch of wheat flour to change up the recipe and give it some whole grain flavor. However, you may need to increase the amount of water you add to the recipe if using whole wheat flours.
This pita recipe is an easy dough that mixes quickly together in a stand mixer or you can mix it by hand. Either way, it’s a simple process with only a few ingredients. Baking it is a snap as well. It bakes up fast, about 3 minutes a side in a hot oven, and you can store it at room temperature, or in a low oven to serve warm with mediterranean food like hummus, morroccan stew, or stuff them with sliced meat and vegetables for lunch.
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 packet rapid rise yeast – 1/4 ounce
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
(Makes 10 Pitas)
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, add water and sugar. Mix on low until sugar is dissolved. Add yeast and stir.
- Wait 5 minutes until yeast blooms or bubbles. Add 1 cup of flour and mix on low with dough hook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining flour and salt and continue to mix until dough comes together, about 8 minutes.
- Remove dough with spatula and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove dough onto a floured surface. Bring dough together with hands, while turning to create large circular round.
- Cut dough in half and each half into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out until about 1/2 inch thick – size can vary slightly.
- Place 3 or 4 pieces or flattened dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes. Flip each pita over and bake for 3 minutes. Remove and repeat with remaining dough.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Enjoy!