Grilling vegetables is a favorite of mine during the warm months of the year, especially when you already have the barbecue fired-up to cook other foods. Fingerling potatoes with a mildly spicy herbaceous dipping sauce is so tasty during the summertime either served with other vegetables, or a grilled protein. The potatoes are already naturally creamy, but to add another note of flavor, a bit of smoke from the grill makes them even better.
The creamy jalapeno green goddess is made with three fresh herbs – cilantro, parsley and basil, but you can get creative and use any soft herbs you may already have on hand. The jalapeno with or without seeds, perks things up a tad, and offers a grassiness with flavorful heat – something I truly enjoy. I used half a jalapeno with seeds, but you can adjust accordingly. The warm and creamy potatoes dipped in this green herby sauce is not only gorgeous, but tasty as can be, and works beautifully for any mealtime.
1 pound fingerling potatoes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh parsley
8 large basil leaves
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1 clove garlic, cut in half
2/3 cup light mayonnaise, or any variety
juice from 1/2 lemon
olive oil for cooking
- Preheat gas grill to 400 degrees or light charcoal and use when coals are light grey.
- Add potatoes to a microwave safe bowl and cover with 1/2 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove and drain water. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to potatoes, and a big pinch of salt, toss to coat.
- In a food processor or blender – add cilantro, parsley and basil leaves. Add garlic and jalapeno. Pulse until coarse texture.
- Add mayonnaise and lemon juice. Puree until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Place potatoes on barbecue and cook until grilled on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm with creamy jalapeno green goddess. Enjoy!