I read and own a lot of cookbooks, a little bit of everything. Paleo and gluten-free cookbooks are very popular, advising us against wheat, gluten and white grains. I guess I am lucky enough not to get sick from any certain foods, but I also buy very good ingredients and I don’t eat fast food.
I do eat healthy most days, except for holidays, special occasions and when I am recipe testing sweets, well maybe not most days?! I do try to make dishes more vegetable focused and that includes this recipe, which uses cauliflower instead of rice. This recipe it great because I can enjoy the texture and flavor of fried rice without all the carbohydrates and calories – it’s actually delicious!
1 medium head cauliflower
2 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 large scallions or green onions
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons Briggs Liquid Aminos or gluten-free Tamari
1 teaspoon sambal oelek or hot sauce
1. Clean and slice the cauliflower into florets, reserve the stem for another use.
2. Place the florets into a food processor and pulse until the florets resemble grains of rice, about 15-25 pulses.
3. In a wok or large skillet, add the coconut and sesame oil and heat on medium high.
4. Add the grains of cauliflower and saute for 5 minutes, only stirring occasionally.
5. Chop the scallions and garlic while the cauliflower is cooking.
6. The cauliflower should get lightly toasted with specs of char, like fried rice.
7. Add the garlic and scallions to the cauliflower and stir to combine. Continue to cook on medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
8. Add the liquid aminos and stir to incorporate. Whisk the egg with a fork.
9. Make a well in the center of the pan and pour the egg inside.
10. With a rubber spatula, whisk the egg quickly to make soft curds and fold them gently into the cauliflower.
11. Squeeze the juice of half a lime and add the sambal oelek into the cauliflower and stir to combine.
12. Continue to stir and cook for 2 more minutes, then scoop the Fried Cauliflower Rice into bowls. Serve with more wedges of lime and enjoy!