Warm and velvety — delightfully easy — Creamy Leek Risotto is the perfect weeknight dinner.
Mealtime never needs to be complicated, but it does need to be delicious and this risotto recipe has only a handful of ingredients, and tastes like you’re dining out instead of in. Arborio or Carnaroli rice are the best choices when it comes to making a good risotto. They retain the right chew and release a natural creaminess, creating a masterful saucy dish.
Freshly sliced leeks that have been washed and dried make the best flavorful pot of risotto. They sweetened when cooked and become buttery to the tongue. A dollop of cream cheese at the end provides a note of tang and unctuousness that brings it all together into one spectacular meal. A sprinkling of arugula overtop adds a bitter bite to contrast the rich risotto.
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, minced
2 large leeks, washed and sliced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
4 cups chicken broth, warmed in microwave
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup baby arugula
salt and pepper
olive oil for drizzling
- In a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat, add butter and shallot. Stir until butter is melted and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add leeks and stir. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and stir. Cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup warm broth and stir.
- Continue to add broth in 1 cup increments every 8 minutes or until rice almost completely absorbs liquid.
- Add cream cheese and stir. Cook 1 minute and turn off heat.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkling of arugula and drizzle with olive oil. Enjoy!