Holiday season is in full swing and there is nothing like the smell of gingerbread baking in the oven. Gingerbread cookies tend to be tradition in most households, but why not make it a little easier on yourself and bake – Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Loaves. This recipe is quick to make and you can slice it up for a holiday tray or deliver them whole to your friends and family.
These loaves are a quick bread and don’t require any yeast, just a little baking soda and some pumpkin pie spice for the perfect blend of cinnamon, ginger and cloves. You can bake this recipe as two 9-inch loaves or one larger loaf, just increase your baking time if using a larger pan. I love to use the disposable decorative pans this time of year.
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses, not Blackstrap
3/4 cup boiling water
confectioners sugar, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray your pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside until later.
2. In a stand mixer or if using a hand held mixer, cream the butter and dark brown sugar together until smooth.
3. Add the egg to the butter mixture and blend until combined.
4. Next, add the molasses and blend until smooth.
5. Add the flour all at once and turn the mixer on low to blend, while adding the water slowly to the batter (my water looks brown because I filled up the empty molasses container with water).
6. Blend the batter until smooth and add the chocolate chips. Pulse the mixer on/off a couple of times to blend.
7. Pour the batter into your prepared pans until it reaches about 2/3 full.
8. Place the pans in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes or longer if using only one pan. The cakes are done when a wooden skewer comes out clean.
9. Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool to room temperature.
10. Sprinkle the gingerbread loaves with confectioners sugar and slice for a tray or deliver to your friends whole. Enjoy!