Desserts have always been my thing — I love to prepare a delicious Cherry Crumb Tart with plump fruit, a buttery crust and top it in a oaty sugar crumb mixture.
Using frozen defrosted fruit is a big “yes” in my book, no need to wait until it’s in season because frozen fruit is picked and frozen at its peakness. Cherries that have already been stemmed and seeded are two steps I don’t need to worry about before making a delicious dessert like this one. The buttery crust and crunchy topping sandwich the juicy filling and the results are oh-so special.
This is one dessert you can enjoy year round and offer those cherry lovers in your life something sweet and super divine. I love a good slice after a meal or with a cup of tea in the afternoon — it’s scrumptious.
2 cups all-purpose flour + more for dusting
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
pinch of salt
8 tablespoons cold butter, diced
2 pounds frozen defrosted cherries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup light brown sugar
5 tablespoons cold butter, diced
(Makes 10-Inch Tart)
- For Crust – in a bowl or stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Mix until combined and add butter. Mix until coarse crumbs and add 1/2 cup ice water until dough begins to come together. Wrap in plastic and press into a disc. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For Filling – In a bowl with mesh strainer on top, drain cherries. Pour juice in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Add sugar and vanilla. Whisk together cornstarch and water (slurry) and pour into pan, stir until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add thickened syrup back into drained cherries and stir, set aside.
- Roll out dough on a flour dusted countertop and place in a removeable bottom tart pan. Press to adhere to sides and roll off excess dough with pin and remove (see video). Place in freezer while you make topping.
- For Topping – add all ingredients to a bowl and using hands, mix until coarse crumbs. Remove tart from freezer and pour filling inside, smooth out to edges.
- Sprinkle topping over top. Place on sheet pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and fruit slightly bubbling. Remove and cool.
- Remove ring and place tart on cake stand or platter. Slice and Enjoy!