Weekend mornings should always have something special to enjoy for breakfast or brunch and these Cheesy Tater Breakfast Cups are not only delicious, but super easy to put together in a moment’s notice. The base is made with tater rounds or tots and topped with sauteed spinach and onions, eggs and cheese for a tasty way to begin the day.
These cups are easy to assemble in a muffin pan and bake up within minutes until they are puffed, lightly golden brown and the cheese almost melts over the sides. The flavors are reminiscent of a quiche, yet they have a potato base instead of a crust.
I love the portability of these breakfast cups because you can eat them with your hands, once cooled, or serve them on plates with good salsa or other items. The best part about them is that they are super scrumptious and you can reheat them to eat later that day or possibly the next, if they make it that long.
3 cups tater rounds or tots, about 48 or 3-4 per cup
1/2 white onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup cream or half & half
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
oil for cooking
salsa for serving, optional
(Makes 1 Dozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- In a sauté pan, add 1 teaspoon oil and onion, place over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, add salt, onion powder, thyme and garlic powder, stir. Cook for 1 minute and add spinach.
- After 2 minutes spinach begins to wilt, stir. Cook for 1 minute and remove pan from heat, set aside.
- Add 3-4 tater round or tots to each muffin cup. Whisk eggs and cream, set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon spinach mixture to each cup and fill with egg mixture, almost to top.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool 4 minutes before removing with a knife.
- Serve with salsa. Enjoy!