I love the flavors of an almond joy candy bar. The chocolate with the coconut and a hint of nuts just hits the spot. These brownies have similar flavors, but I used cashews instead of almonds. The cashews give the same flavor as almonds in these brownies and I use cashew meal instead of flour or even gluten-free flour to create a moist texture. You will be surprised how lusciously tender these come out and I am sure you will be making them over and over again.
1/2 coconut oil + more for pan
5 ounces dark chocolate
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar – you can substitute granulated sugar
3/4 cup cashew meal (Trader Joe’s or other specialty markets)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup cashews, toasted
1/3 cup sweetened coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8 x 8 pan with aluminum foil and brush with coconut oil.
2. Place the coconut oil into a glass measuring cup and microwave on high for 1 minute.
3. Measure out your dark chocolate and add it to the melted oil. Microwave for 1 minute and stir to combine.
4. In a stand mixer, combine the brown sugar, coconut palm sugar, cashew meal, baking soda and salt.
5. Add the eggs and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
6. Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and stir on medium speed for 1 minute until incorporated.
7. Chop the cashews into pieces and add them to the batter along with the sweetened coconut.
8. Stir the mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or just until set.
9. Remove the pan from the oven and let the brownies cool for 1 hour.
10. Lift the brownies out of the pan by the foil and slice into squares. Serve the brownies for dessert or pack them up for a picnic or lunches. Enjoy!