Kumquats are a unique fruit because they taste like the opposite of most citrus – the skin is sweet and the interior is sour. Because of this, you don’t need to separate the fruit from the flesh and you can use the entire kumquat in recipes, including cocktails. Kumquats make the perfect Mojito because they give a nice sweet and sour balance that is refreshingly delicious.
Traditionally mojitos are made with rum, but in this cocktail, I used vodka to lighten the kumquat and mint combination. Kumquat Vodka Mojitos are great to make in a pitcher because you can muddle and serve the cocktails all in the same container. Feel free to double the batch for larger groups or parties. Cheers!
2 sprigs mint leaves
2 tablespoons organic agave
8 ounces vodka or 4 shots
3 cups sparkling water
1. Slice the kumquats in half and remove any seeds. Place them in a pitcher and muddle them with a wooden dowel or spoon handle.
2. Next, add 10 mint leaves and muddle them with the kumquats. Add the agave nectar and muddle again.
3. Then, add the vodka and muddle again to combine the flavors.
4. Pour in the sparkling water and stir.
5. Serve over ice in champagne or white wine glasses, enjoy!