Rustic tarts are the perfect summertime dessert and since we are heading into the last few weeks of these warm weather months, I thought I would share my Rustic Blueberry Almond Tart Recipe to celebrate. This recipe takes a few steps, but both the crust and frangipane (almond cream) are made in a food processor for simplicity.
Fresh blueberries are essential, so find the best available – plump & sweet. The combination of fresh almond cream and juicy berries make this tart delightful for breakfast, a late afternoon snack or for dessert after dinner. You could also serve this blueberry tart instead of cake at a birthday bash for a fresh summer vibe.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup semolina flour or fine cornmeal
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cold, cut-up
3 tablespoon vegetable shortening
2/3 cup ice water
Frangipane (Almond Cream)
4 tablespoon butter, softened
2/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 egg white
whipped cream or ice cream, optional
(Makes 1 – 12 Inch Tart)
1. To make the crust, in a food processor combine the dry ingredients and pulse several times to mix.
2. Next, add the butter and shortening and pulse several times until coarse crumbles.
3. Add the ice water and pulse until dough comes together in a ball and remove from the food processor. Wrap the dough in a disc shape and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. To make the frangipane, in the food processor combine the almonds, butter and sugar. Pulse the mixture several times, until the almonds are chunky.
5. Next, add the egg and almond extract and puree until smooth. Remove the mixture from the food processor and chill at least 1 hour until slightly firm. You can make this 2 days ahead.
7. With your rolling pin or dowel, start in the center and roll the dough to the side. Turn with each roll, so dough doesn’t stick to the surface.
8. Wrap the dough around the rolling pin and place it on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
9. Remove the frangipane from the refrigerator and spread in the center of the dough, about 3-inches from the sides.
10. Place the washed blueberries on top of the frangipane and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar and the lemon juice.
11. Start on one edge and fold the crust up to meet the blueberries. Trim the excess dough if necessary.
12. Place the whole sheet pan with tart in the freezer for 15 minutes, until slightly firm. If you can’t fit your sheet pan in the freezer, place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
13. Remove the tart from the freezer and brush the crust with a slightly beaten egg white.
14. Sprinkle the crust with the remaining sugar and place the tart in the oven to bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and the fruit is slightly bubbling around the edges.
15. Remove the tart from the oven and let cool at room temperature. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!