Rhubarb, a stalky bright red vegetable is sour in taste and often thought of as a fruit, but it’s a vegetable. Rhubarb is often paired with berries to balance out the tangy flavor and most often combined with strawberries. Strawberry rhubarb desserts are very popular and seen at parties, picnics and bakeries during the summertime.
I have always wanted to grow my own rhubarb and I just got a root stalk of rhubarb from a friend across the country, and brought in home in my suitcase. Initially after planting, the leaves started dropping off, but then suddenly a few new leaves popped up to my surprise. Celery is similar in structure and grows abundantly around my garden, so I figured rhubarb would also feel right at home – I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
In my crisp recipe I add pecans to the crunchy topping, it gives this dessert a little southern charm. I think the creamy fruit topped with a bit of nuttiness is just what this summer has ordered. I love to make this for Sunday gatherings when we all have a little more time to relax and enjoy each other, and our dessert.
10 stalks rhubarb
3 pints strawberries
1/2 cup honey, any variety
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup pecans
1 stick butter + more for dish
1 cup whipped cream, optional
powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large 3-quart baking dish and cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch slices, similar to celery. Wash and dry 3 pints of fresh strawberries. Core tops of the strawberries with a spoon and cut in half, place in a large bowl.
2. Drizzle honey over rhubarb and strawberries. Sprinkle cornstarch over top and toss with a large spoon to coat rhubarb mixture.
3. Pour strawberry rhubarb mixture into prepared dish.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, sugars and salt. Whisk to remove any lumps. Chop pecans into coarse pieces and add them to flour mixture.
5. Cut butter into cubes and add to flour mixture. With hands, rub butter into flour to create medium sized crumbs.
6. Sprinkle topping over rhubarb and strawberries. Place dish on sheet pan and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until bubbly around edges.
7. Remove crisp from oven and let cool to room temperature. Spoon into bowls and dollop with whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!