A traditional Nicoise Salad is a mixture of tuna, tomatoes, green beans or haricot vert, hard boiled eggs and Nicoise olives and it is often served at lunchtime in France. I thought I would make this salad with a unique twist by grilling Romaine lettuce and French green beans and substituting olives for radishes and serving it with a simple vinaigrette.
Grilling vegetables mellows their flavors and offers a sublime taste, which makes this Grilled Nicoise Salad delicious for lunch or a light dinner and is perfect, while dining al fresco in the warm weather months. You could also pile the same ingredients on a toasted baguette, but that’s another recipe entirely.
8 ounces fresh Ahi tuna
1 head Romaine lettuce
4 ounces small green beans or haricot vert
10 small radishes, I prefer French
2 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
1/3 cup olive oil
pinch salt & pepper
1. Heat a gas grill to 400 degrees. Remove tuna from any packaging and drizzle with vegetable oil. Sprinkle the tuna with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. Slice the Romaine lettuce in half and lightly drizzle with vegetable oil. Wash and dry green beans and radishes and drizzle with olive oil, then place them in a grilling basket or iron skillet.
3. In a jar with fitted lid, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients and shake well. Set aside.
4. Place the tuna and the vegetables on the grill. Cook the tuna and lettuce for 3 minutes on the first side and turn over and grill the other side for 3 more minutes. Cook the green beans and radishes for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Slice the tuna in 1/2 inch thick pieces and slice the hard boiled eggs in half. Layer the salad in a bowl and serve with the vinaigrette. Enjoy!