Fresh berry pie comes to mind during the summer when I see the abundance of fresh berries so, why not combine two summertime favorites — blackberries and nectarines in a pie? The crumb topping adds another level of flavor and crunch and if making your own crust frustrates you, there is always store bought.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cut up in cubes
3 Tbs. shortening
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup ice water
2 pints blackberries
3 large nectarines, sliced and unpeeled
1/2 cup sugar
juice of half a lemon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 all purpose flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
6 Tbs. butter, cold and cut up
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor or mixing bowl combine all dry crust ingredients and pulse or mix together. Add butter, cream cheese and shortening and pulse again or mix with a fork until coarse crumbs. Slowly add water until dough comes together. Do Not Overmix! Wrap disc of dough in plastic wrap for half an hour while preparing filling.
2. In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and set aside. In another bowl combine all dry crumb ingredients and add butter. Mix with hands until mixture looks like large coarse crumbles. Place in refrigeraor until ready to use.
3. Roll dough out into large circle slightly larger than pie pan. Place in pie pan and tuck under edges and crimp to make design of your choice. Dock or poke holes in crust with fork. Place pie crust in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up before blind baking.
4. To blind bake crust, place parchment or foil in the bottom of crust and fill with pie weights or dried beans to weigh down crust. Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes until crust starts to firm up. Remove from oven and remove parchment and weights from the center of crust.
5. Assemble pie by adding filling to the parbaked crust followed by crumb topping. Place entire pie on baking sheet and place in the oven for 35-45 minutes until dark golden color on top and fruit is lightly bubbling. Cool pie to room temperature before serving. Pie is delicious with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!