Potato Salad is an American classic served at thousands of barbecues and picnics. I call this recipe, Perfect Potato Salad, because I think it has the perfect balance of creamy and savory with a hint of sweetness. I use Yukon Gold potatoes for a moist texture and I just love the beautiful butter colored flesh.
My secret ingredient in my potato salad is capers. Capers are little vinegar bites of heaven, that add just a hint of brininess to our decadent taste. Also, I like to add a splash of the brine for a slight kick of flavor.
This potato salad is delicious with burgers, grilled chicken and sausages and is perfect for entertaining anytime. I love it served slightly warm, but you can chill it for several hours too — it stores nicely in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but because it is perfect, I doubt it will last that long.
5 pounds of Yukon Gold Potatoes, organic preferably
5 large eggs
3 stalks celery
2 sprigs fresh dill
1/3 cup capers + 2 tablespoons brine
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup Greek Yogurt, plain
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey, organic preferably
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1. In a large pot add cold water and potatoes. Boil potatoes until fork tender. In another small pot add eggs and cold water. Boil the eggs and immediately turn off heat and cover with a lid. Continue cooking the eggs for 12 minutes. Drain off water from both the potatoes and eggs and let cool for handling, about 20 minutes.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them up into 1/2 inch chunks and place them in a large bowl.
3. Thinly slice the celery and scallions and add them in the bowl with the potatoes.
4. Mince the dill finely and add it to the bowl as well.
5. Pour the capers into your hand over the bowl of potatoes allowing a little brine to run through your fingers. The extra brine adds a nice saltiness to the mixture.
6. Peel and chop the eggs up into 1/2 inch dice and add them to the bowl.
7. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon, agave and rice vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and whisk again until combined.
8. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and toss with a spoon until combined.
9. Cover the potato salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving or store for up to 3 days. Enjoy!