Frittatas are a simple Italian egg based dish similar to a crustless quiche. What makes Frittatas fun to create are the variety of ingredients you can add like cheeses, vegetables and meats. Frittatas are often prepared for brunch or breakfast, when feeding a small group of people because you prepare it in a saute pan and it is served family style.
This frittata is on the deliciously indulgent side with fresh truffle cheese, sauteed leeks and truffle oil. The combination of flavors is so pleasing, you might end up making this quite frequently, to really Wow your family and friends. Truffle & Caramelized Leek Frittata tastes like it took hours to make, but actually bakes in 20 minutes and can be served hot out of the oven or at room temperature. It is great by itself or fun to serve with fresh fruit or salad to make a complete meal.
2 medium leeks, washed
1 medium sweet pepper, any variety
4 ounces Italian truffle cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices. Seed and dice the pepper and grate the truffle cheese.
2. In an oven safe saute pan, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of truffle oil and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Place the pan over medium heat. I like to make my own truffle oil by purchasing a truffle from a mushroom vendor at my local farmers market. You can usually find a fairly priced truffle grown in Oregon, which won’t break the bank. Use 2/3 of the truffle to shave over risotto or pasta and save a small piece and place it in a jar and fill with good olive oil. It stores in the refrigerator for months….makes a big difference in taste!
3. When the butter is melted, add the leeks and pepper. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes or until slightly soft and lightly caramelized. During the cooking process, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the cooking leeks.
4. While the leeks and pepper are cooking, add the eggs to a bowl and the heavy cream. Whisk the eggs and cream together with a fork until light and frothy.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the sauteed leeks and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
6. Place the pan in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the frittata is puffed slightly and the top lightly golden brown.
7. Drizzle the top of the Frittata with more truffle oil and torn fresh basil.
8. Slice and serve the Frittata immediately or wait and serve it at room temperature. Enjoy!