I recently stopped by Mozza2go on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles to buy some Mole’ Salumi and noticed they were selling little Rosemary Cakes. So I bought one and took it home to sample — delicious as I expected. Being a huge fan of Nancy Silverton, I began to browse through one of the many cookbooks I have of hers to find the recipe. What I did find was Capezzana Tiny Olive Oil Cakes. So I decided to make a few alterations and create those yummy little cakes I tasted at her shop. So here they are:
Rosemary Olive Oil Cakes
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary, plus addtional sprigs for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a stand mixer combine all dry ingredients and blend until combined.
3. Next, add eggs, half & half and olive oil while mixer is running. Don’t over mix.
4. Now add zest and rosemary and mix gently to combine. Mixture is very running.
5. Pour batter into mini loaf pans and garnish with rosemary sprig. Bake for 35-45 minutes depending on the size of pans.
6. Cool and slice. Enjoy!