Tea cakes, or sometimes called quick breads are simple sweet desserts to make for gifts or just to have around for breakfast or snack. They are prepared by creaming butter and sugar together and then adding flavorings like lemon and lavendar to infuse the batter. I like to make these in small mini cakes so you can share them with your family and friends, but they can be made as a larger loaf and sliced to serve.
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers, online or specialty stores
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup half & half
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the inside of your mini cake pans or larger loaf pan.
2. In a stand mixer, combine butter, oil and sugar and mix on high until creamed together.
3. Add the eggs one at a time to the butter mixture and continue to beat on high speed.
4. Add the lemon juice and zest and continue to mix for 1 more minute. Then, add the flour, baking powder and salt to the butter mixture and mix on low until mostly combined.
5. Next, add the sour cream to the mixture and continue to mix on low until incorporated. Do not over mix.
6. Stir in the lavender flowers by hand and dollop the batter into the cake pans. Place the pans on a sheet tray and bake for 30 minutes if using mini pans or 45 minutes if using one larger loaf pan, until golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for 30 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and place them on a wire rack for further cooling while you make the glaze.
8. In a large bowl, sift 1 cup of powdered sugar. Then add 1/4 cup of half & half to the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
9. Add 1 teaspoon of lavender flowers to the glaze and stir by hand until smooth.
10. Drizzle the glaze over the cakes and allow it to soak in. Repeat this step until the glaze is all gone. Serve the cakes with your favorite cup of tea or give them away as gifts. Enjoy!