Spring is here, so it is time to break out the fresh veggies and create some great tasting salads. Radishes are an underutilized vegetable and when grilled, the bitterness softens. Fresh corn has even started to pop up in some markets and the combination of grilled radish and corn is quite delightful. You can serve this salad as a side dish or with grilled chicken or fish for a full meal. The feta cheese gives this salad a little salty kick which balances out the flavors.
1 head oak leaf or butter lettuce
1 ear fresh corn
3 ounces Feta cheese
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/8 cup olive oil + more for grilling
(Serves 4 appetizer size or 2 entree size)
1. Husk the corn and rinse with water, pat dry. In a bowl, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss in the ear of corn and radishes. Sprinkle with salt to season.
2. Heat a stove top grill pan or outdoor grill on high. After 6 minutes of heating, place the corn and radishes on top to grill.
3. Grill for 8 minutes or until you see char marks on the corn and radishes. Remove the corn and radishes from the grill and place in a bowl to cool.
4. Wash and spin dry your lettuce. Tear or cut your leaves in large bite size pieces.
5. In a jar, add your vinegar, agave, Dijon, pinch of salt & pepper and oils. Shake for 2 minutes or until the dressing is creamy and slightly thickened.
6. Slice the corn kernels off the cob and slice the radishes into 1/4 inch pieces.
7. Toss the corn and radishes in with the lettuce in a large bowl and break the feta up into small chunks and add it to the salad.
8. Toss the salad together and portion it out into salad plates. Drizzle each salad with a few teaspoons of dressing and a grind of fresh pepper. Enjoy!