Sometimes the simple things make the most delicious skillet meals and this Chicken Sausage and Mushroom Orzo, is just that. It’s made with cooked chicken sausage either enhanced with apples or with some kind of chilies for a slight kick, and earthy mushrooms. The orzo or tiny pasta is the ingredient that supports the other two, and creates a skillet dinner that creamy, flavorful and super easy to prepare.
I created this skillet meal in an iron pan, but you can use any vessel that’s big enough to hold a couple of quarts. I started by browning the chicken apple sausage and then tossed in some onions and mushrooms to sweat, before adding the orzo. Chicken broth allows the teardrop pasta to cook beautifully until al dente, and a splash of cream at the end creates an unforgettable texture that melts in your mouth. The entire dinner is complete within 30 minutes and I suggest some rustic bread for sopping up all the extra bits from your plate because you definitely don’t want to miss any here.
3 large links cooked chicken apple sausage, sliced – about 1 pound
1/2 white onion, diced
2 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/3 cups orzo, whole grain or traditional
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup cream
1/3 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
oil for cooking
- In an iron skillet or other large pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and place over medium-high heat. Add sliced sausage and cook until slightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute, then add mushrooms, stir. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, stir. Cook for 1 minute. Add orzo and chicken broth, stir. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 13 minutes and remove lid. Add cream and stir. Cook for 1 minute and turn off heat.
- Sprinkle skillet with 2/3 of parsley and stir. Spoon into bowls and top with remaining parsley and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!