Holidays are for festive appetizers and most of us serve some sort of cheese plate during this time of year. I like to bump up my game a bit during this season and create something a little more special. Brie is a popular double or triple cream cows milk cheese that it already decadent on its own, but when topped with sauteed mushrooms and fresh cranberries, it lands in a whole new category of deliciousness.
The first step in preparing this simple, but elegant appetizer is to sauteed mushrooms and cranberries. Then, pile them high on top of a round of brie – I chose truffle Brie for added earthy flavor and bake. To accompany the Warm Truffle Brie with Sauteed Mushrooms & Cranberries, toasted baguette – which can be prepared on a stove top grill pan or in the oven.
This recipe is so delightful and can be made within 20 minutes. It makes the perfect festive starter to any holiday party of gathering and I think it pairs nicely with Champagne or a red wine like Pinot Noir. Happy Holidays!
1 round truffle Brie or regular Brie cheese
4 ounces Shiitake mushrooms. sliced
1/3 cup fresh cranberries
3 tablespoons butter , divided
salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter and the mushrooms. Saute for 4 minutes or until slightly tender. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the mushrooms and stir.
2. Slice the cranberries in half and add them to the pan. Saute for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
3. Unwrap the Brie and place it in an oven safe dish. Spoon the mushroom and cranberry mixture over the top and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
4. While the cheese is baking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the slices of baguette. Grill on the stove top or bake in the oven, until golden brown.
5. Remove the Warm Truffle Brie with Sauteed Mushrooms & Cranberries from the oven and serve with the toasty baguette. Enjoy!