Spring is almost here and with that comes fresh peas. In California you can already purchase fresh peas in many grocery stores because of our warm climate, but frozen peas can be used in this Warm Pea & Ricotta Spread.
I love this recipe because of the bright pea flavor with a hint of spice from the cayenne pepper. You can serve this with crackers or sliced peppers. St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and if you are having a get-together, this is simple and delicious.
1 10 ounce bag of fresh peas, frozen can be used
1/2 white onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 dashes cayenne pepper, about 1/8 teaspoon
1 ounce parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, peas and onion. Saute the mixture for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
2. Next, add the thyme and stir to combine. Continue to cook the peas for 2 minutes.
3. Add the cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
4. In a food processor, add parmesan cheese and pulverize until fine.
5. Add the pea mixture to the food processor.
6. Then, add the ricotta cheese to the food processor.
7. Pulse the mixture several times until it is chunky, but slightly smooth. Add 3 more tablespoons of olive oil to the spread and pulse until just combined.
8. Spoon the spread into your favorite serving dish and drizzle with a little more olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt.
9. Serve with your favorite crackers or veggies and Enjoy!