Shrimp are a light healthy protein that are great in pastas, sandwiches, and salads. Poached shrimp are nice with cocktail sauce, or on top of a salads too, but I just love them seared crispy with a hint of spice to add a little more flair to my meal. Crispy Shrimp & Avocado Salad is definitely great during the summertime when the weather is hot because the salad is filling enough, but not too heavy.
To prepare the salad – the shrimp are tossed in a dry herb combination, and quickly seared in a pan for crunchy texture. Then, cabbage and iceberg lettuces are shredded for a cool contrast of flavors and some sliced avocado is added for light creaminess.
You can make this ahead and dress it later for parties or weeknight meals and the entire salad can be made within 10 minutes. Enjoy this Crispy Shrimp & Avocado Salad with a glass of Rose’ or Sparkling Wine.
1/2 head cabbage
1/4 head Iceburg lettuce
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 tablespoon potato starch or flour
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 basil leaves
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
pinch of salt & pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Thinly slice the cabbage and lettuce and toss it into a large serving bowl.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the potato starch, onion powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and add the shrimp, toss to coat.
3. In a saute pan, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. After a minute, add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly browned. Flip over and continue to cook 3 more minutes. Squeeze lime over the top of shrimp.
4. Pour the shrimp over the cabbage mixture. Slice the avocado and place on top of the salad, along with the fresh basil leaves.
5. In a jar with fitted lid, add all the vinaigrette ingredients. Shake 1 minute, until thickened. Spoon the vinaigrette over the top of the salad and serve. Enjoy!