Fresh corn season is upon us and it is one of my husband’s favorite foods. I, on the other hand, love tomatoes, so we have the best of both worlds in this Tomato & Corn Salad recipe. Fresh corn is available virtually everywhere in the summer and there are a few different varieties. I tend to prefer using white corn in this recipe because I think it is slightly sweeter than yellow corn.
As for the dressing — this vinaigrette is very aromatic because of the fresh basil and pairs nicely with the tomatoes and corn. A little feta cheese adds a mild salty twist and I prefer to buy a block of feta as opposed the crumbles, which I think lose some of their flavor in packaging. This salad can be made ahead and tossed with the vinaigrette right before serving. It makes a great picnic salad because it can handle being storage in a cooler or basket for longer periods of time.
8 ears of sweet corn, any variety
2 pints cherry tomatoes or 4 large tomatoes
5 ounces feta cheese, about 2/3 cup
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey, organic
1 small shallot, skin removed and cut in half
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup sunflower oil
2 tablespoon olive oil + more for grilling
1 cup fresh basil leaves + a few more to tear into salad
1. In a food processor, add the vinegar, shallot, agave, mustard and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
2. Process the mixture for 1 minute or until slightly frothy.
3. Add the sunflower oil to the vinegar mixture and turn the processor on. While still on, drizzle in the olive oil and process for another 30 seconds until combined, then turn the machine off.
4. Rough chop the basil leaves and add them to the vinaigrette.
5. Pulse the mixture for 30 seconds until the basil is in smaller pieces, but not pureed into the vinaigrette. You don’t want green dressing.
6. Turn the grill on or if using a grill pan on the stove, preheat the grill pan to medium-high heat. Wait until hot, about 10 minutes. Husk and wash the corn and toss with olive oil and a little salt. Place the corn on top of the grill and cook until the kernels are slightly charred in some places, about 12 minutes.
7. Remove the corn and place it in a bowl to cool. Slice the tomatoes into bite sized chunks or if using cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
7. Slice the kernels off the cob and layer them in the bottom of a large bowl. Next, add the tomatoes and sprinkle the feta and torn basil leaves over the top. When ready to serve, toss with the Basil Vinaigrette. Enjoy!