Summer is all about barbecue and nothing goes nicer with a perfectly grilled piece of chicken, than potato salad. Potato salad is traditionally made with Russet or New potatoes, but this time Sweet Potatoes are the main ingredient, creating a slightly sweeter version of an already delicious side dish.
There are hundreds of variety of sweet potatoes and any of them can be used in this salad. I prefer small organic sweet potatoes, so they slice up nicely in the shape of coins. Also, I use Peppadew Peppers or Sweet Piquante Peppers for a hint of heat, that heightens the flavors of the potatoes. These sweet & hot peppers can be found in most grocery stores, in the self-serve olive section.
Sweet Potato Salad is a nice summer treat, but it is also delicious in the winter months served with seared salmon or steak. You can prepare this recipe for Sweet Potato Salad a day ahead and store in the refrigerator and you can double the recipe, for larger parties.
3 pounds organic sweet potatoes, boiled until fork tender
3 stalks celery
3 peppadew peppers
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup vegetable oil
salt & pepper
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients, except the vegetable oil. While continuing to whisk, drizzle in the vegetable oil, until the vinaigrette thickens slightly.
2. In a large bowl, peel and slice the sweet potatoes into coin size slices. If the sweet potatoes are large, slice into half-moon shape.
3. Thinly slice the celery and scallions.
4. Remove the Peppadew Peppers from the liquid and rough chop.
5. Then, add the celery, scallions and peppers to the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
6. Pour the vinaigrette over the top and toss gently. Salt and pepper the salad to taste. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!