I’m not ready to let summer go just yet, so I thought I would create one last seasonal dessert including strawberries. Strawberries have been super sweet this season and they are still readily available in most markets, so here is a delicious recipe for Strawberry Shortcake. I created a 1 minute video to go with the recipe to make it easier to bake along with me. Click on the Continue Reading Link below to view the video and enjoy your Strawberry Shortcake!
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter, diced
1 cup heavy cream
1 pint fresh strawberries, washed
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 ½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven 375 degrees. In a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on low for 30 seconds.
2. Add the diced butter and mix on low for 1 minute.
3. Then, add the heavy cream and mix on low, just until the dough comes together, about 30 seconds.
4. Remove the bowl and dump the dough out. Form into a round disc and cut into wedges, about 8.
5. Place the wedges on a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden on top. Remove and cool.
7. Hull and slice the strawberries into quarters and place them in a bowl with the sugar and lemon juice.
8. Macerate or slightly mash the berries, until juicy.
9. In a stand mixer, whip cream until frothy and then, add powdered sugar and vanilla.
10. Whip again until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
11. Assemble shortcakes, by slicing each cake in half and placing a large spoonful of berries and a dollop of whipped cream on one half. Place the other half on top. Enjoy!