Pancakes are an American breakfast favorite especially on the weekends or for brunch. Pancakes can be easy to prepare for large gatherings and these pancakes are extra special because they are made with ricotta cheese and fresh strawberries.
The ricotta cheese adds flavor to traditional pancakes and lightens up the batter, while the fresh strawberries add seasonality and freshness. I like to sprinkle them with powdered sugar and a light drizzle of maple syrup. You will be so surprised how light and fluffy these little cakes get, so for your next brunch or weekend breakfast, whip up a batch.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and halved
1. In a stand mixer combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Then, add the ricotta cheese and mix on low until combined.
2. Next, add the egg yolks, lemon zest and buttermilk and mix on low until smooth.
3. Whip the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks.
4. Fold the egg whites into the batter until light and fluffy, do not overmix.
5. In a large non-stick pan, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and heat on medium for 2 minutes. Add the pancake batter in dollops to the pan and place 2-3 strawberry halves on each pancake.
6. Flip the pancakes over after 2 minutes or until light brown on one side.
7. Cook the pancakes for another 2-3 minutes and serve on a warm plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, more strawberries and a drizzle of powdered sugar. Enjoy!