A Galette is a rustic tart in France and comes in a variety of flavors. Usually Galettes are made with fresh or frozen fruit and the crust is similar to a pie crust, but contains an egg yolk. One reason Galettes are so fun to make is that they don’t need to look perfect, they are free-form. The edges of the tart are gently folded inward in the shape of a circle or oval and baked on a sheet pan.
Blueberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines and plums are the usual suspects in a Galette, but I thought strawberries would be fun, especially since I found a couple pints at the farmer’s market. Strawberries can be a little tricky in baking because of their water content and texture – they tend to make things mushy. But in this recipe, the sweet cream cheese center provides a bed for the strawberries to nestle, allowing for the perfect consistency and familiar flavor we all enjoy.
This recipe for Strawberries & Cream Galette is a simple preparation, especially if you make the crust ahead of time. I love to serve this anytime strawberries are available, especially when the weather heats up. Just remember there are no mistakes making a rustic tart, any creation is a great one.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
6 tablespoon cold butter, diced
3 tablespoons ice water, add more if needed
2 pints fresh strawberries, washed, hulled & sliced
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup marmalade or apricot jam
(Makes 10-inch Rustic Tart)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a stand mixer or large bowl, add the flour, sugar and salt. Mix on low for 1 minute, to remove any lumps. Add the egg yolk and diced butter, mix on low until coarse crumbs, about 1 minute. While the mixer is running, add the ice water. Mix until the dough just begins to come together, about 1 minute. Do not over mix. Pour dough out onto counter top and form into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Unwrap dough and place on a floured surface.
2. In the same stand mixer or bowl, add the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Beat the cream cheese mixture on high for 3 minutes, or until smooth.
3. Roll the dough out into a circle or oval, about 1/4 inch thick. Roll the dough up around the rolling pin and unroll it on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the cream cheese mixture in the center, leaving a 1-inch edge.
4. Place the strawberries in a circular pattern on top of the cream cheese mixture and gently fold the edges up about 1-inch. Brush the edges with heavy cream and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Place the Galette in the oven to bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove the tart from the oven and let cool 30 minutes. Heat the marmalade in the microwave for 20 seconds and brush on top of the strawberries for shine. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Enjoy!