This Sunday is Father’s Day, and it also happens to be Social Sundays. So, I thought I would create an extra special menu for dad and post it on Saturday, so you lucky cooks have time to shop and prepare this awesome meal. This menu is not difficult, and I think it will hit dad’s sweet spot.
We are grilling this Social Sunday, and to start off – Grilled Filet Mignon with Green Peppercorn Sauce. Beef filets are easy to cook on the grill outside, or on a grill pan indoors, if you choose. The sauce is a quick combination of beef stock and green peppercorns, not black peppercorns, like those in your pepper grinder. Green peppercorns are under-ripe peppercorns and are more mild in flavor. You can find green peppercorns in the condiments aisle of most grocery stores. The sauce is a perfect addition to these juicy filets and compliment the meaty taste.
Next, we prepare our Grilled Avocado & Sweet Corn Salad, which is a cinch, and delightful with steaks. Seed and peel avocados and husk ears of corn, and simply grill away. When cool, cut the corn-off-the-cob, and assemble with the other salad ingredients. I think it will definitely become one of dads favorites.
For his sweet tooth, Dark Chocolate S’more Pudding – it is sure to please. Prepare the pudding first, so it has time to chill in the refrigerator. You can prepare it a day ahead, and assemble it on Sunday. Top the pudding with a dollop of marshmallow cream, and apply some heat from a blow torch, or place under the broiler. Don’t forget the graham cracker sprinkles on top!
Have a great Father’s Day and celebrate the one you love. And if dad is too far away, or not with you any longer, invite some friends, and celebrate dads everywhere!
Dark Chocolate S’more Pudding
1 egg + 2 yolks
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons good cocoa powder, Valrhona
1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large graham crackers
6 ounces marshmallow cream
(Makes 6-8 Servings)
1. Whisk eggs and yolks together in a small bowl. In a saucepan, add the milk, cream, brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt, whisk. Cook over medium heat, until simmering. Add 2 tablespoons of hot cream to the egg mixture, and whisk. Pour the warmed eggs into the hot cream, and continue to whisk until thickened, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla to the hot pudding and whisk, until smooth. Then, add the butter and whisk, until shiny. Pour the pudding through a fine mesh strainer, removing any egg bits or lumps. Place plastic wrap on the surface and chill for at least 3 hours.
3. Using a rolling pin, crush the crackers and place 1 tablespoon in the bottom of each serving dish. If you’re planning to brown the marshmallow cream under the broiler, make sure you use oven safe dishes. Spoon 1/2 cup pudding into each dish and top with heaping spoon of marshmallow cream. Brown the tops of marshmallow cream with torch or broil, for just a few seconds. Top with additional cracker crumbs. Chill or serve immediately, Enjoy!
Grilled Avocado & Sweet Corn Salad
2 avocados, sliced in half
2 ears fresh sweet corn, husked and rinsed
1 large sweet onion
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
(Makes 4 appetizer portions)
1. Heat grill on high. Slice the avocados in half and remove the seeds. Husk and rinse the corn. Brush the avocados tops and corn with oil.
2. Place the avocados and corn on the grill. Cook the avocados for about 3-4 minutes, just until slightly charred, remove. Continue to cook the corn for 5-7 minutes longer, or until the kernels are slightly charred.
3. Let the corn cool, while you prepare the vinaigrette. In a jar with fitted lid, add the vinegar, honey, Dijon, a pinch of salt and pepper and the olive oil. Shake the jar, until the vinaigrette is slightly thickened.
4. Slice the onion very thinly, and set aside. Place the spinach on a large serving plate or platter. With a spoon, remove the avocados from their skins. Place the avocados on top of the spinach. Slice the kernels of corn off the cobs and sprinkle them across the spinach leaves. Then, spread the rings of onion on top of the corn. Serve the Grilled Avocado & Sweet Corn Salad with the vinaigrette on the side. Enjoy!
Grilled Beef Filets with Green Peppercorn Sauce
2-4 6 ounce beef filets
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons green peppercorns, drained
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon heavy cream
parsley for garnish, optional
1. Preheat the gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Salt and pepper the filets and oil the grates of the grill. Place the meat on the grill and sear to cook, about 4 minutes. Flip over, and cook another 4-6 minutes, depending upon how rare you like your beef. Remove from the grill and let rest on a plate, cover with foil.
2. In a saute pan over medium heat, add the beef broth and peppercorns. Let cook for 2 minutes and add the butter and juices from the plate resting the meat. Whisk to combine and add the cream and stir. Cook for 1 minute and remove the sauce from the heat. Plate the filets, and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish with a little fresh parsley. Enjoy!