January is usually the month of dieting and whether you are partaking in such an endeavor or not, desserts still need to be apart of our weekly meals to feel satisfied. Overly rich treats are not the only choice when craving something sweet. Fruit usually is the recommended dessert while watching our calories, so I thought I would create something that is nutritious, but still tastes decadent.
Skinny Baked Cinnamon Apples are easy to prepare and are truly amazing. The slightly tart apples are baked in apple juice with a dash of cinnamon for an warm sensation that you would expect from a piece of apple pie. After baking, the reduced juices that remain in the pan are syrup-like and exquisite, when drizzled over the top of each apple. I love to dollop the top of each apple with a spoonful of yogurt for a creamy cold contrast, not to mention a nice boost of protein. You can serve this recipe for dessert, as a snack or even for breakfast, as a divine way to start your day.
2 firm apples, halved and cored
1/2 cup apple juice, no sugar added
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
1/4 cup raspberries, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash, slice and core the apples.
2. Pour the apple juice in the casserole dish. Add the cinnamon and a pinch of salt and whisk to combine.
3. Place the apples cut-side-down into the dish. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and place in a serving bowl, or individual bowls.
5. Dollop a heaping spoonful of yogurt onto of each apple. Drizzle with remaining juices from the dish.
6. Top each apple with fresh raspberries and serve. Enjoy!