Red velvet cake and cupcakes are so popular, that you can find them at most grocery stores, but why not try a twist on tradition and make red velvet brownies? Red Velvet Brownies make a fun dessert for 4th of July, or at any barbecue or party this summer. The rich chocolaty cake with burgundy hue and cream cheese frosting are quite colorful and fun on special occasions.
Red velvet is simply a cocoa based batter with added red food coloring or beet juice, which gives them a deep red color. Definitely don’t forget to use good chocolate because it’s all about the chocolate in good brownies. I just love these Red Velvet Brownies and I think you will too!
6 tablespoons butter + more for pan
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons half & half
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or shaved chocolate
3/4 cup all purpose flour + more for pan
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring or 2 tablespoons beet juice
4 ounces cream cheese
3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
(makes 16 squares)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 9 baking pan.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt together the butter, sugar and half & half and stir to combine. Add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
3. Then, pour the chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Add the eggs one at a time and stir to combine. Next, add the red food coloring and vanilla and stir until the mixture resembles a deep burgundy color.
4. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir until it is incorporated into the batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the brownies are lightly firm. Be careful not to over bake.
6. Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour.
7. To make the frosting in a stand mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium high speed for 2 minutes.
8. Next, add the vanilla and a pinch of salt and mix for 1 minute.
9. Sift the powdered sugar and add it to the creamed mixture. Mix together on low until incorporated into the creamed mixture, about 2 minutes.
10. Spread the frosting on top of the brownies and refrigerate before slicing, at least 1 hour.
11. Slice the brownies into squares and serve. Decorate with your favorite candies, accessories or sprinkles. Enjoy!