Caramel apples are an easy dessert to prepare for the upcoming holidays, especially Halloween. The caramel sauce can be made in your microwave with an easy preparation. Dip the apples directly into the sauce and spoon the sauce around the outside of the apples to coat. You can double dip them, if you prefer thicker caramel, but I tend to love a light coating, so I can still taste the delicious apple flavor.
I like to decorate my apples with a few orange and black sugar sprinkles, but you can use nuts or other candies, that you may already have on hand. These are yummy treats for kids, but you can always add a splash of bourbon to the caramel sauce to make a fun adult sweet!
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 mini apples or small apples
8 Popsicle sticks
orange and black sprinkles
(Makes 8 mini apples)
1. In a microwave safe bowl, add the sugar, water and corn syrup. Stir to combine.
2. Place in the microwave and cook on high for 10 minutes. You are looking for an amber colored sugar. After 10 minutes, add 1 minute intervals to the cooking time, until the sugar reaches the proper color. Wash and dry the apples, while the sugar is cooking. Place a Popsicle stick into each apple, by the stem.
3. Remove the caramel from the microwave and add the butter and heavy cream. It will bubble and expand, so be careful. Stir to combine. Let the caramel cool for 8 minutes before dipping.
4. Dip each apple, one at a time, into the caramel. Using a spoon, add more caramel around the top and perimeter. Place on a piece of wax paper and continue dipping the rest of the apples.
5. Sprinkle the apples with sugar and/or candies and let rest until cool. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Enjoy!