When I make Magic Bars, it reminds me of going back to school. My mom used to make these crunchy, chocolaty squares from the recipe on the back of the sweetened condensed milk can several times during the course of every school year. I couldn’t wait to find one in my lunchbox and it made my peanut butter sandwich and apple a whole lot more tolerable.
Today when I make these bars, I add a few more ingredients that aren’t part of the traditional recipe, like white chocolate chips and mixed nuts, which adds additional magic to the recipe. You can add almost anything to these bars to create a fun treat to appeal to your families tastes.
Magic bars are the perfect treat to make for back-to-school lunches because they hold their freshness longer than regular chocolate chip cookies, because of the dense layered ingredients. You can slice and store these bars for up to five days, but I doubt they will last that long.
12 whole graham crackers
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 ounces
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened coconut
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
(Makes 24 squares)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor,add the graham crackers. Pulse the crackers until coarse crumbs. Then, add the cinnamon and butter to the crackers and pulse again until combined.
2. Next, add the wet crumbs to a 13 X 9 inch pan. Press the crumbs into the pan using the bottom of a measuring cup or the palm of your hand.
3. Open the can of sweetened condensed milk and pour it over the pressed crumbs.
4. Next, pour the semi sweet and white chocolate chips over the condensed milk.
5. Then, sprinkle the coconut, almonds and peanuts over the chocolate.
6. Gently press the ingredients down using your hand.
7. Bake the bars for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.
8. Remove the bars from the oven and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
9. Slice and serve the Magic Bars for your children’s or grandchildren’s lunches or serve immediately with a glass of icy cold milk.
10. Store the rest of the bars in a container with a lid to serve later. Enjoy!