Most Americans have a version of macaroni and cheese they prepare, even if it comes from a little blue box. What ever Mac & Cheese you fancy, there are usually leftovers. Reheating them is an option or you can get a little creative and put your Mac & Cheese between two slices of bread for a decadent sandwich. For extra fun and flavor, add a slice of cheese and some pepperoncinis for heat and wow…now we’re talking!
Leftover Mac & Cheese – My Habanero Mac & Cheese is pretty great!
6-12 slices of sandwich bread, I prefer something with grains
4-6 slices Havarti cheese
1/2 cup pepperoncinis
1. Remove your Mac & Cheese from the refrigerator and make sure it is still edible (no science experiment, if you know what I mean).
2. Next, take your slices of bread and spread 1 piece with butter and the other spread with Dijon mustard. Repeat with the other slices of bread.
3. Pile the Mac & Cheese on top of one slice of bread.
4. Top the Mac & Cheese with pepperoncinis.
5. Then, top with a slice of Havarti cheese.
6. Place the un-buttered side of bread down on top of the cheese.
7. In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter and place it on medium heat. When the pan is sizzling hot, add the sandwich butter side up and turn the heat to low.
8. Cover the skillet with a lid and let it cook for at least 4 minutes. Check the bread to make sure it is not getting too brown. Flip the sandwich over and continue to cook until the other side is golden brown, about 4 more minutes.
9. Remove the sandwich from the skillet and slice it cross-wise and serve it on a plate with your favorite soup or chips! Enjoy your ooey gooey delight!