This Halloween throw a spooktacular dinner party. We had one with some friends last Saturday night and it turned out great. To start decorate your table with simple things from the grocery store like candles, candy corn, cob webs and mini pumpkins. Next, use black placemats and dishes from your cupboard and don’t forget a clever name card and napkin which you can make by hand or find at your local craft store.
Start with a small table of appetizers that are fun and easy i.e. devilish eggs, spooky smoked salmon cheese ball and nibblies like nuts and pumpkin seeds.
Now for the main courses — create delicious and creepy foods like beet salad with roasted witches finger (carrot), goblins eye balls with champagne and leeks (scallops with leeks and sliced pimiento olives) and flesh and blood of warlocks (short ribs in red wine sauce with pureed cauliflower).
Scallops with Leeks and Olives
20 large sea scallops
6 leeks, cleaned and sliced
1/3 bottle of champagne
1/2 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste
sliced green olives stuffed with pimentos
1. In two large saute pans heat half the butter and two tablespoons olive oil in each pan. Add the leeks to one pan and begin to cook over medium heat. In the other pan, wait until it is hot and add the scallops and sear them for 2 minutes on first side.
2. Next, continue to stir leeks until translucent and soft. Add the champagne and continue to stir.
3. Salt and pepper leeks to taste and add more butter for a creamier sauce if desired.
4. In the other pan, flip scallops over and cook for one more minute.
5. First spoon leeks onto plate, followed by two scallops and top with olives for eyes.
Now that your guests are tremendously full, go for the sweets – Poached Pear Tiramisu and Mini Eye Balls Cupcakes. Your friends will leave pleasantly spooked.
And don’t forget some fun photos of your guests! Here are mine!
Julia and Paul Child
Two Blind Mice (one had to work)
The princesses and the pea! Hah