Grilling season is underway and one of my favorite things to cook on the grill are fresh artichokes. Artichokes are a summertime favorite and so simple to prepare. The trick to making great grilled artichokes is to par-boil them first, so the center is tender and ready to sear on the grill. What adds great flavor to an already delicious artichoke, is the dipping sauce on the side.
Romesco sauce is a sweet red pepper sauce that originated in Spain. Using jarred roasted red peppers is an easy approach to creating a delicious sauce within minutes. You can serve these artichokes hot off the grill or at room temperature – both are divine.
1-2 medium artichokes
1 jar roasted red peppers
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
1/2 a lemon
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a medium saucepan, add the artichokes and half a lemon. Cover the artichokes with water and place over high heat. Boil the artichokes for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the artichokes from the water and drain. Place the artichokes in a bowl to cool.
3. Remove the choke or fuzzy part of the artichoke with a spoon and toss the artichokes with oil to prepare them for the grill.
4. Heat your grill on high and prepare the sauce by adding the almonds and garlic to a food processor or blender. Blend the nut mixture for 1 minute until coarsely ground.
5. Next, add half of the jar of roasted red peppers or one fully roasted red pepper and the juice of half a lemon. Pulse 10 times until incorporated.
6. Then, add the parmesan cheese to the mixture and pulse until combined, but still slightly chunky.
7. Drizzle in 1/4 cup olive oil, while the processor is running. Do not over mix, you want some texture to the sauce.
8. Remove the Romesco from the food processor and place in a bowl, while you grill the artichokes.
9. Grill the artichokes for 4 minutes cut-side down and flip them over to grill for another 2 minutes. Remove the artichokes from the grill and put on a plate with a dollop or two of fresh Romesco sauce. Enjoy!