I love mole, a Mexican sauce from Oaxaca which consists of chilis, nuts, spices and chocolate, yes chocolate. In many recipes mole can be a little complicated with a long list of ingredients, but I have created a full flavored version that is made from ingredients in your pantry. Mole is most often served over enchiladas and roasted or grilled meats and vegetables. In this recipe, I marinate the meat and shrimp in mole and then serve more on the side for dipping. This deep red sauce is not too spicy, but has an earthy sweet taste and is delicious to go with BBQ. You can serve this surf & turf with fresh tortillas and vegetables which makes the perfect anytime meal.
1 1/2 pounds flap or skirt steak
6-12 fresh large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup smoked almonds
1 chipotle pepper in adobo
2/3 jar roasted red peppers, any grocery store
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1. In a food processor, add the sesame seeds, almonds, red peppers, cocoa powder and chipotle pepper.
2. Then, add the vinegar, honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. Puree until the mixture is smooth.
3. In a glass casserole dish, add half the mole sauce (reserve the other half of the sauce for later) and place the steak on top. Season the steak with salt and pepper and flip over to coat the other side with sauce. Marinate the steak for at least 4 hours.
4. Then, add the shrimp with the steak and coat with the mole sauce. Marinate for another 2 hours before grilling.
5. When ready, turn the grill on high to reach 400 degrees. Wipe the steak and shrimp with paper towels to remove most of the mole sauce.
6. Add the remaining sauce to a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water and heat on low to serve with the grilled meat and shrimp.
7. When the grill is ready, drizzle the steak and shrimp with olive oil and place the steak on the hot grill and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the steak over to cook the other side and add the shrimp to the grill. Cook both the meat and shrimp another 2 minutes and flip the shrimp over. Cook for just another 2 minutes and remove the shrimp and steak from the grill. If you like your steak cooked darker than medium rare, continue to grill another 2-4 minutes.
8. Place the steak and shrimp on a board and let them rest for 7 minutes. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the top. Slice and serve the Mole Surf & Turf with the warm mole and Enjoy!