Shrimp is an economical and easy meal to prepare during the week when life gets pretty busy and curry is a delicious spice combination that adds tremendous flavor, especially to shrimp. In this recipe, I use coconut milk to thicken the sauce slightly and to add richness and frozen shrimp to keep it extra simple in the kitchen. This recipe for Coconut Curry Shrimp can be prepared within 20 minutes, start to finish — faster than you can pick up the local take out.
I recommend serving this recipe with brown rice or sauteed greens, for a more complete meal and you can double the recipe for larger families or bigger eaters.
1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon curry powder
12 large shrimp, frozen
3 tablespoons coconut milk cream, top of coconut milk can
juice from 1/2 lime
5 leaves fresh basil, sliced
brown rice, prepare according to package
1. In a saute pan or medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and red onion. Saute the onion for 3 minutes until slightly softened.
2. Next, add the cherry tomatoes, cayenne and curry powder. Stir to combine the flavors and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
3. Then, add the frozen shrimp all at once and place the lid on the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and stir to combine.
4. Next, add the coconut milk and stir to create a thicker sauce. Continue to cook the mixture for 3 minutes or until the sauces reduces slightly.
5. Squeeze the lime juice over the top and add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the shrimp with fresh basil and remove from heat.
6. Scoop brown rice into bowls and spoon the Coconut Curry Shrimp over the top. Enjoy!