I happen to love curry, but in the warmer months I find myself craving salads, instead of hot & spicy Indian cuisine. This recipe for Curried Chicken Salad has all the flavors of your favorite curry dish and it’s loaded with crunchy cucumbers and dried blueberries for a fun lighter kick.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can use your leftover chicken, either from the Grilled Lemon Chicken recipe I previous blogged about or any cooked chicken. It is as simple as stirring together a few ingredients for the sauce, shredding the chicken and chopping a few veggies. You can serve this on soft rolls or greens for a light salad. Also, this makes a great salad to take on a picnic or beach outing!
2 1/2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 English Cucumber, washed
1/2 small red onion
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mango chutney, I use Trader Joe’s
2 teaspoons Vadouvan Curry or any variety
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup dried blueberries
soft rolls and tomatoes optional
(Serves 4 – 6)
1. In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, chutney, curry, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine all the ingredients.
2. Dice the red onion and chop the cucumber into bite sized pieces.
3. Submerge blueberries into very hot water for 5 minutes to rehydrate.
4. Remove the leftover chicken from the refrigerator or if using a rotisserie store bought chicken, let it cool slightly and peel the meat from the bones and skin. Shred the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in the bowl with the curry dressing.
5. Add the diced onion and chopped cucumbers to the same bowl and stir to combine.
5. Drain the blueberries and squeeze slightly to remove any excess water. Add the blueberries to the curried salad and stir to combine.
6. Slice open your favorite rolls and slice some fresh tomatoes and pile high or pack away to eat later to take on a picnic or have at a party. Enjoy!