The weekend is already here and what better way to start the day, than with Brunch and these Cranberry Crumb Muffins. Cranberry season is a small window of time, around late fall and early winter and these tart little scarlet balls, can be added to many more recipes, than just traditional cranberry sauce. Cranberries are lovely in most baked goods and especially in this recipe because the contrast of tart & sweet is amazing.
These muffins are scrumptious and you can also bake this into a loaf cake, to give as a gift or to bring to a party. I hope this recipe brightens your holidays, it did mine!
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
(Makes 1 Dozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. In a stand mixer, cream together on high, butter and sugar for 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the vanilla extract., mix on high for 2 minutes.
2. Add the eggs and mix on high for 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. While the mixer is running on low speed, add the buttermilk and mix for 1 minute. Add the chopped cranberries and mix again for 30 seconds. Remove bowl and scrape down sides.
4. Scoop batter with an ice cream scoop into lined muffin cups. In a small bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon, stir. Add the diced butter and using your fingers, squeeze the mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Top each muffin with a handful of crumb topping and bake in the oven for 20-24 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the muffins from the pan and serve warm, Enjoy!