This past Thursday, we had a Caribbean Grill Party for our charity, Sisters of Sojourn. The Caribbean theme dictated the menu of Curry Beef Patties, Grilled Shrimp Mango Salad, Jerk Chicken (recipe to come) and BBQ Pork. For dessert, I prepared this recipe for Coconut Rum Cake, which was a real hit and not too complicated to bake.
I prepared a simple batter with sweetened coconut and dark rum, and then a decadent butter-rum glaze, to pour over the top. The trick to making this cake a success, is not to over bake it and to spoon the glaze over the cake while it’s still warm, so it absorbs into the crumb.
I think you will love the island flavors of this cake and it is definitely a party cake to share with your friends and family. I grilled fresh pineapple to serve with it at the party, but you can add fresh berries on the side for an easier option.
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar + more for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup rum
2/3 cup sweetened coconut
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup rum
(Makes 1 Bundt Cake)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter a 9-10 inch bundt pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar in the pan and tap, to cover the bottom and sides.
2. In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Then, add the eggs and vanilla and beat again for 2 minutes, or until combined.
4. Next, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, then pour in the buttermilk and rum while the mixer is still running.
5. Then, add the coconut and mix on low for 30 seconds or just until incorporated.
6. Remove the bowl from the mixer and using a rubber spatula, mix by hand to make sure all the ingredients are combined.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes in the pan.
8. Using a table knife, loosen the cake around the perimeter and the center. Invert the cake into a large plate.
9. In a saucepan, add all the glaze ingredients and stir until the sugar is melted, about 3 minutes.
10. Using a skewer or toothpick, poke holes in the cake. Spoon the warm glaze over the entire cake. Let the cake rest, until room temperature.
11. Serve the Coconut Rum Cake with grilled pineapple, fresh berries or coconut ice cream. Enjoy!