Butternut Squash Soup is very popular, but I love it even more with hints of spice from Thailand. The subtleties of lime, coconut milk and fish sauce, highlight the sweet squash and create a delicious balance to make the perfect soup. This soup is delicious by itself, but makes a great starter for dinner parties and holiday entertaining of any kind.
1 butternut squash, split, seeded and roasted (400 degrees for 50 minutes)
1/2 onion, diced
1 lime, zested and cut in half
2 tsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 cup light coconut milk
chicken broth or water
smoked almonds, optional
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil for about 3 minutes. Next, scoop out the butternut squash pulp.
2. Add the pulp and lime zest to the onions and stir.
3. Continue to cook over medium heat and add 1 cup broth or water to the mixture and continue to stir.
4, Next, add fish sauce and soy sauce to the mixture and continue to stir.
5. Now add the coconut milk and stir to combine.
6. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and stir.
7. Blend until smooth or as smooth as you like it (you can use an upright blender too, just blend in batches) and ladle into bowls.
8. Finely chop smoked almonds and blend with any lime zest you may have left over and sprinkle over the top. Enjoy!