Buffalo chicken wings have always been the rage and I wanted to create an appetizer with a similar delicious bite, but a little easier to eat, especially in a party setting. Macaroni & Cheese is another popular comfort food that is served during large gatherings or holiday time, so I combined the two flavors and created an outrageously delicious recipe for Buffalo Macaroni & Cheese Cups.
Buffalo Macaroni & Cheese Cups are easy to prepare and are a wonderful party appetizer for game day, birthday celebrations or to wrap up and eat for lunch or snack at another time. These cups are especially fun at a Super Bowl Party because you can indulge and hold a conversation, while enjoying your slightly spicy treat. These Buffalo Macaroni & Cheese Cups can be made ahead and reheated, right before game time so, you don’t miss any of the hilarious commercials.
1 pound elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
6 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup lowfat milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup hot sauce, any variety + more for top
(Makes 15 Cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or brush with oil. Set aside. Grate the cheeses and boil the macaroni for 8 minutes and drain, set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat, until foamy. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour in the milk and cream and whisk until thickened, about 4 minutes.
3. Add in the mustard powder, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, stir to combine. Pour in the hot sauce and stir.
4. Add in 3 cups of cheese, reserving 1 cup for the topping. Pour in the cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
5. Spoon the macaroni & cheese into the muffin cups, fill to the rim. Add a couple more dashes of hot sauce to the top of each cup and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses.
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tops are melted and lightly crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before removing.
7. Serve immediately, or place on a platter and wrap for later. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds, Enjoy!