I love Angel Food Cake, especially when I want something sweet without it being too heavy. This recipe is so light in texture and melts in your mouth and the fluffy pink frosting is sweet without being too sweet. The combination of sweet strawberry cream frosting over the light as air cake is just delightful.
The ingredients for this recipe are quite simple and you can use any type of berry to change the flavor of the frosting. This is a great cake to make if you have an abundance of egg whites in your refrigerator, so lighten up your day and make this cake.
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups egg whites, about 11
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 8 ounce pkg. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar, divided
3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer whip egg whites until foamy and add 3/4 cup sugar while the mixer is running.
3. Next, add the cream of tarter to the egg whites and continue to whip.
4. Add vanilla and almond extracts to the egg whites and continue to whip until stiff, but not dry.
5. Fold dry ingredients into the egg white mixture in three stages until combined.
6. Spoon the mixture into ungreased tube pan and spread evenly.
7. Place the cake in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
8. When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and invert it on top of a bottle to cool.
9. When the cake is cool, run a sharp knife around the perimeter and center to loosen. Flip the cake right side up onto a cake plate.
10. To make the frosting, in a stand mixer combine softened cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar. Blend the cheese mixture on medium until smooth.
11. Next, add chopped strawberries to the cream cheese mixture and continue to mix on medium speed. Add 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring to the mixture and continue to mix slowly until combined.
12. Whip the heavy cream in a separate bowl for 1 minute. Then, add 1/3 cup sugar and the juice of 1 lemon to the cream and continue to beat. Beat the cream mixture until thick and firm. Fold the cream mixture into the strawberry cheese mixture.
13. Next, cut cake in half and spread 3 large dollops of frosting onto the cake. Reassemble the cake back together and proceed with frosting.
14. Frost the remainder of the cake starting with the top and then the sides.
14. Place the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve. You can make the cake one day ahead and wrap it in plastic wrap overnight. Frost the cake on the day of serving.